Veterans & Military Personnel

Many private, not-for-profit colleges and universities in New York serve veterans entering college for the first time or those returning to college to further their education. During your college search, check with the campuses to see if they have a veterans’ resource center or office - many of them do. This office can assist you during the application for admission, transition to college, and search for employment.

In addition to the Post-9/11 GI Bill, several of New York’s 100+ private, not-for-profit colleges and universities offer tuition assistance and additional services to support veterans and their family members who want to go to college. The New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs offers benefits counseling, and a variety of other programs and services to help you go to college. The Pay for College tab on this site lists several programs available to veterans in New York.

Use this checklist to help you organize your steps to college.

Checklist for Military/Veteran Students

Collect Your Military Paperwork and Information

This includes:

  • DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty for most recent period of active duty.
  • Kicker Contract (the National Archives has this information available upon request.)

Apply for admission to the college or university

Please make sure that you notify them of your veteran status on the application. This will help you by enabling the college/university to contact you with important information and making sure that they know to certify your enrollment with the VA.

Request SAT/ACT Scores (if required by the college/university)

Request an Official High School Transcript

This may not be necessary if you have completed over 24 college credits - check with the admissions office.

Request an Official Military Transcript

Your military training may be eligible for college credit. To request an official military transcript online, at the appropriate Web site below:

Request CLEP/DSST/DANTES official scores

Request official transcripts of your scores for CLEP or DSST scores taken WHILE IN the military at:

Apply for your VA Benefits 

Once you have applied for your VA Educational Benefits online at, you will receive a letter of eligibility from the VA. Please provide a copy of this letter to the Registrar's Office to place in your file. It will help certify your enrollment to the VA and help you receive your benefits.

Apply for Financial Aid

Beginning this process early will help you be ready to attend. Also check out the Financial Aid and Scholarship links at